Update: This is a bit of an outdated article. As in 2019 Browning really mixed up their naming scheme, discontinued some lines, and added more. To learn more about this, take a look at this article, where I go more in depth with the 2019 changes
Browning Safes, made by Prosteel recently changed their model numbers on all of their series of safes to represent the gun capacity of each of their safes. Prior to the 2018 models that began in October 2017 were labeled by their cubic footage.
While it makes sense, it also cause some confusion within the community. See below to see what the new model number is for your favorite Browning Safe!
There are also some new safes for 2018 and those are detailed as well. However many of them are replacing older models, but they are not close enough to be considered the same safe. The below details all of the model number changes to the Core Collection.
To see other series of Browning Safes choose one of the below:
Core Collection – Includes Sporter, Heavyweight, Select, and the Hunter Series(Has HAWG and Hell’s Canyon)
The Sporter series is Browning’s entry level standard model safes. They come with a 12 gauge body. This safe is imported and is note USA made. However is one of the best imported safes available.
- SP9 stayed as the SP9 (Found on my Top 3 Home Safes) – 27″High x 21″Wide x 13″Deep
- SP15 became the SP20 – 58″High x 24″Wide x 19″Deep
- SP20 became the SP23 – 58″High x 29.5″Wide x 20″Deep
- SP23 became the SP33 – 58″High x 29″Wide x 24″Deep
- New Model SP49 Wide – 58″High x 41″Wide x 24″Deep
- New Model SP49 Wide Tall – 72″High x 41″Wide x 24″Deep
Update: Since writing this article, they discontinued the Heavyweight series, and launched the replacement as the Rawhide.
The Heavyweight series is similar to the Sporter series, however carries an 11 gauge steel body and a different paint style. These safes are imported.
- HW16 became the HW19 – 60″High x 24″Wide x 19″Deep
- New Model HW33 – 60″High x 30″Wide x 24.5″Deep
- New Model HW49 Wide – 72″High x 42″Wide x 24.5″Deep
- New Model HW49 Tall Wide – 72″High x 42″Wide x 24.5″Deep
Update: Since writing this article, they discontinued this series of safe. Take a look at the Rawhide series as well.
This series of Browning safes is very similar to the heavyweight series, however has a slightly different paint scheme.
- New Model ST33 – 60″High x 30″Wide x 24.5″Deep
- New Model ST49 – 60″High x 42″Wide x 24.5″Deep
Update: Since writing this article, they discontinued this line of safes, and replaced it with the Hell’s Canyon safes.
The Hunter Series of Browning/Prosteel safes is the first series to be made here in the USA. These safes have 11 gauge steel a full DPX door system, as well as the complete AXIS interior.
- HR26 became the HR33 – 60″High x 30″Wide x 25″Deep
- HR37 became the HR49 Wide – 60″High x 43″Wide x 25″Deep
- New Model HAWG49 – 58″High x 41″Wide x 24″Deep (While in the hunter selection, this safe is not built in the USA, it uses the half DPX door system)
- HC48 became the HC65 – 60″High x 55″Wide x 25″Deep
To see all of the safes Browning offers, visit their website.